Glossy Goodness: A Table Update



3 comments
I purchased this table at a local thrift store about 1.5 years ago for less than $40. It was in pretty good shape with mostly just minor surface scratches, a few little dents in inconspicuous places, and no major divots, as seen below.




When I purchased it, my initial intention was to sand it down to eliminate the scratches and smooth out the dents, and then refinish it with a like-hued stain. As with a lot of home decor purchases and ideas in my home, I let it sit as-is for awhile while I figured out exactly what I wanted. Thank goodness for this Monthly DIY Challenge to give me a swift kick in the pants to make a decision already, otherwise it would still be sitting just as it was when I first bought it!

After consulting with my fellow bloggers M and I, they suggested that I spray paint it a glossy gray. While I definitely loved that suggestion, the shades of gray spray paint that I had to choose from at my local Home Depot felt either too dark, too light, or too metallic. I couldn't find exactly what I had envisioned. While perusing the colors, I came across two color candidates: RustOleum's Colonial Red in Gloss and Paprika in Satin. I opted to pick both up and bring them home to feel out which would be the best compliment for the table in its surrounding space.



Here are my paint choices against my living room rug. 

I ultimately decided to go with Colonial Red, because the thought of a glossy red table made me happy. I thought it would add a nice punch of color and liveliness to this little neck of my breakfast area/living room woods.

With a color selected and a vision in mind, I set up shop in my wee backyard by laying down an old tarp. I made sure to do my painting on a day with low-humidity and low-wind, as the can's directions suggest. A day like this is hard to come by in the Texas springtime, so I had to be patient when it came to getting a start on this little project.

Please disregard our weeds, I mean grass. No, I mean weeds.


I got the ball rolling by doing a little sanding. I don't think this was truly a necessary step, so feel free to forgo it in your spray painting endeavors. I used the above Norton sanding pads; one that was for finer sanding and one that was a little bit rougher for those more damaged areas.


Here's the top of the table after some sanding goodness. It took a little bit of time and effort to smooth out the scratches and buff down the dents.



There were some splotches on the surface of one of the sides. It looked like a little splattering of a clear coat gone awry.


Thankfully, some elbow grease eliminated those little suckers.


Then I gave it a very thin coat of some primer.


30 minutes later the table was doused in another light coat of primer.


I made sure to wear a mask while I did all of my spraying. As you can tell, I am very serious about keeping toxins out of my lungs, and you should be too.


Now here comes the part of the story that proves that I'm a novice, or that I don't think things through enough. Or both. I left the table outside to dry after giving it 2 coats of red. D and I went to go grab some dinner and run some errands. When we came back I checked on my little project only to see that the wind had picked up and blown grass and other debris onto the drying paint and left those darn little debris there to stick to it and become one with the paint and table. Thankfully it wasn't anything that a little light sanding and rubbing couldn't fix.


Realizing the error of my ways, we brought the table inside overnight to keep it safe from having anymore debris cling to it.


There was a little bright spot in this: The glossy footing had me feeling giddy about the final product.


The next day was super windy, so into the garage went my tarp and table. 

Two more thin, even coats, and the painting process was complete. We moved the table inside a few hours later, and then let it cure for a little over 48 hours before I put anything back on it.


A couple of days later, I put all of the pictures back on top and went to attach my new handle that I purchased only to realize that it was too large. Bummer. Silly me should have measured before purchasing it. {The handle measures 3.5" from bolt to bolt, making it a little longer than most.} When I finally measured the distance between the holes in the table drawer, I realized that they're shorter than 3 inches by just a hair. This is bad news bears for me, since the average handle measures 3 inches between bolts. If I had my way, I'd be adorning the drawer with this little lovely. But being that I have no desire to fill the holes, redrill new ones, and spray another coat of paint at this time, I had to find a new solution.


Enter Anthropologie again. It turns out they are going to pull through for me, pun intended, thanks to the clever invention of this little guy.
The Pliant Rope Handle is just that: pliant. This will allow me to fit those awkward unevenly drilled holes with ease. I wasn't able to locate it in a nearby store, so it's being shipped. Once it comes in I'll take one last final shot of my table in its completed revamped glory.


This was my first foray into spray painting, and I have to say I like it better than I expected, though truth be told that paint and brushes are my comfort zone. I purchased several more cans of spray paint in exciting colors (think gold and neons), and I have some fun plans to spruce up our front and back patios. 

Do you enjoy the wonders of spray paint? Or are you more of a brush and paint kind of gal?

3 comments:

Maigen at: April 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM said...

I love it!!! Can't wait to see it in person... And that ROPE HANDLE, amazing!!! A touch of nautical is never lost on me!
... As you know, I am totally a spray paint girl. I love it. Really hate painting with a brush. :) I'm too lazy and not artistic enough. Plus, my perfectionistism overwhelmed me and I go crazy about brushmarks! Heehee...

Maigen at: April 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM said...

I love it!!! Can't wait to see it in person... And that ROPE HANDLE, amazing!!! A touch of nautical is never lost on me!
... As you know, I am totally a spray paint girl. I love it. Really hate painting with a brush. :) I'm too lazy and not artistic enough. Plus, my perfectionistism overwhelmed me and I go crazy about brushmarks! Heehee...

Maigen at: April 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM said...

That's weird, it added my comment twice... This is why I don't like doing them from my phone!

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...