Sweet Cabbage Patch!



1 comments

I love red cabbage and about a year ago started buying it frequently at the market.  I usually braise it or roast it and cook them until they're soft and tender, but yesterday, I really just wanted some crunchy rawness.  (I've been on a poor nutritional feast for the past two weeks and feeling the icky effects of it, so "detox" mode kicked in).

Cue up my go-to recipe file: my Epicurious app for itouch (yes, iTouch - I am too poor to afford an iPhone :D)  I searched "cabbage", "healthy", "raw", and this was the first to pop up!  Grilled Cabbage Slaw 

It was perfect!  I don't like "regular" cole slaw because they're weirdly creamy and sweet and cold and that's just weird to me, but this one was vinaigretty and worked for me! I used balsamic since I didn't have any other vinegar and used brown instead of white sugar.   I grilled a little longer than asked for because I wanted the cabbage to be tender too and not completely raw.  Then I tossed it in the dressing and let it sit while I made the rest of my dinner.  I will be making cabbage this way more often and can't wait to try it with other vinegars!  It also keeps its color really well, which is why I took a picture of it.  After braising cabbage so many times and cooking it till it's practically brown, this bright red/purple made me giddy and feel oh so healthy!

Try it!
Peace out,
Iz



yield: Makes 6 servings
Coleslaw on the grill? Absolutely. It makes the cabbage and green onions tender and adds just a bit of smoky flavor.



  • In

    ingredients

    Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil plus additional for brushing
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1 medium head of red cabbage (about 1 3/4 pounds), quartered through core
  • 1 medium head of green cabbage (about 13/4 pounds), quartered through core
  • 1 bunch green onions (about 6), trimmed
print a shopping list for this recipe

preparation

Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Whisk vinegar, sugar, 1/2 cup oil, mustard, and tarragon in medium bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Brush cabbages and green onions with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill cabbages until dark grill marks form, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill green onions until charred on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to work surface.
Chop green onions and cabbages; place in large bowl, discarding cores. Add dressing; toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Red-and-Green-Cabbage-Slaw-242744#ixzz1wVTMbSPx

1 comments:

Maigen at: June 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM said...

Yum! I want to come eat at your house! :)

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...