Design Star Episode 4!



0 comments
On this episode, the designers are making over two little houses {indoor & outdoor}!  There are only 8 left.  Yay!  {Did I mention I don't usually like the challenges they do as a team?}

First, let me just say, having just finished watching the episode, there wasn't a space that really did it for me.  It was just so anti-climactic!

House #1
Rachel Kris, Miera & Danielle: Clients love contemporary/Scandinavian, blues, grey, sparkle

Rachel & Kris: Going succulent crazy!  That's what the clients asked for, though.  What's happening?!  Rachel is grabbing a bunch of hideous pink kid's crap {oh, what a huge, disgusting mistake}.  I HHHAAAATTTE that kiddy corner!  That alone is enough to get her sent home, in my humble opinion.  Or, not so humble, whatev.  Loving Kris' decision to use tree stumps as tables.  I also love the slatted addition to the top of their white wall in the back!  That's cool, especially that it's asymmetrical {you can't tell in the pic, sorry}.


The good...

...The bad & the ugly.
They like all the seating and love the tree-stump tables {of course!}, they like the wooden awning {agreed} and they think the kiddy corner is bizarre, too. 
Man, I really hate that!  I can't say it enough.  "That's a kill shot!"  That girl is totally out.  That kid corner is making me throw up a little. 
What I find the most disturbing is that the judges' problem with the kiddy area is that it is next to the trash... Umm, how about, 'it's totally ugly and no one would want that crudding up their beautiful new backyard'??  What about that, Vern?  I'm the most disappointed in you, to be honest.

Danielle & Miera:
Love the gold + signs that Danielle found!  ...I think the wall unit idea could really end up being crazy!  If it gets done in time!  Miera is so impatient, "just make it happen."  She's so bossy.  She's a nut.  And, I don't mean it as a compliment {usually I do}!  I actually do like the straw chandelier thing she picked, though.
I LOVE Danielle's gold spray-painted framed leaf {spoiler alert: I love something that's metallic!  I know you're super surprised!} from her camera challenge.  Might have to make one myself!
Danielle got totally screwed by helping Miera!


Judges: don't like the unfinished piece-of-crap built-in.  They like the entryway vignette by Danielle, which I think is not only the best part of the room, but is also the best moment in either living room.  Overall, I feel that the room in general lacks something {just like the other living room}.  It's just not designer-y.  The judges aren't feeling it, either {especially Vern Yip, and not to name favorites, but he's totally mine}!

House #2
Hilari, Mikel, Britany, Stanley.  Clients' likes: "sophisticated flea market" look, earth tones, green

Mikel & Hilari:
I'm kind of over sectional sofas {Hilari is all over one this time}.  But that's me.  Unless it's funky.  There's one at Z Gallerie that I like... 

I love the clear lamp with the yellow patterned shade & eucalyptus that Hilari made in her camera challenge.
My take on the finished room: although I'm really not crazy about the colors, they did do what the clients like, as far as that goes.  I think the room overall is nice, but to me, it doesn't look like designers made it, but more like a Rooms-To-Go showroom.  I do like the chairs okay, though.  I also like the pendant and grid wall thing.  I like the round mirror {but the placement all the way in the corner is totally off}.


Judges:  They are all standing with their mouths hanging open like it's the best room ever, wha...??  I do agree with Sabrina Soto that the space is planned out well {such a large room can overwhelm the furniture, making it seem small [and the room therefore, empty].  I agree with the judges that Mikel's mirror above the fireplace {using the "reclaimed" wood from outside} was a great idea.  They love the vintage-feel buffet.  I like it, but I don't like the stools underneath.  Just because there's some space somewhere doesn't mean you have to put something there.  It's the same way I feel about decorations on top of kitchen cabinets.  It's not a shelf.  It's the top of a cabinet.  But, that's just me... 

Britany & Stanley: Liiittle worried about the wood deck!  That might be too much work for the time table.  Digging the chevron wall idea, though!  This space turned out to be my fave, I think.  But, everything was so luke-warm that that's not saying much, unfortunately. 



Judges: They like the chevron fence {heck yeah!}, they love the cabana, and I agree with Genevieve that there isn't enough color to pop against all the wood & neutrals.  They like the deck, and I totally agree.  It was a great way to break up the concrete jungle they had going on back there.

{AN ASIDE: GENEVIEVE GORDER, CALL ME GIRL, WE REALLY NEED TO TALK ABOUT THAT RED SATIN DRESS WITH BLACK BRA STICKING OUT ENSEMBLE.  IT'S NO BEUNO, BUT I WOULD BE GLAD TO GO SHOPPING WITH YOU NEXT WEEKEND IN CANADA.  I GUESS I MEAN IT'S NOT "BON" [IS THAT FRENCH???] OH, CRAP, I JUST SAW IT AGAIN AND I WILL ACTUALLY COME TO CANADA TOMORROW.}

The winner: Hilari {I knew it!  I said it right before SS!  YAY!}
The leaver: {it has to be either Rachel or Miera.  HAS TO BE!}  Miera.  WOW.  I do think she really stank it up, but I'm amazed that the Pepto pink kiddy corner didn't equal disqualification! 

Who would YOU have eliminated?

All photos via HGTV.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...