Dorm Series: Kerry's Take



6 comments
NOTE: Apparently I can't stick to any limitations in the budget department when it comes to creating a fictional room for a college-bound youth. Sigh. Between you and me, I didn't try that hard to be budget friendly, because it was giving me a headache. Sad, but true. Forgive me? Let's take these ideas with a grain of salt in the dorm room department due to financial purposes and simultaneously view them as guest room options. Deal? Deal.

Here are some visuals to help you get a grasp of the layout of my freshman dorm. I chose to live in a private, off-campus dorm because the on-campus dorm I was assigned to was the most depressing one on campus. No lie. Think horrible fluorescent lighting and dingy interiors. Yikes!
My dorm's rooms were sectioned into suites, with all 4 suite-mates sharing one toilet and shower; thankfully that was never an issue. We had our own sinks and mirrors in our rooms to share with our roommates. 


This is a view of the entry area; the desk area is in the foreground, with closet to the immediate left of the door and sink/vanity/mini-fridge/storage cabinet to the right.


The closet had 4 large mirrored sliding doors. Very convenient for us gals! But as you can see, storage space was at a minimum inside those closets. I switched my clothing out by seasons, which helped me out a lot.


This is the desk/TV area. There was actually quite a bit of space here for your average dorm room.


Another view of the desk/closet area


Beds, which were hoisted up thanks to cinderblocks {like mine} or bed frames, allowing for tons {well, by dorm room standards} of storage under the bed.


The greatest part about my dorm room was that I had a perfect view of the crowning feature of The University of Texas campus: The Tower. Is it super lame to admit that I get a little weepy seeing it?
{I swiped all of the above photos from The Castilian website.}


My room was decorated in red and yellow. I had a rather country-looking red and white quilt with matching sham from Pottery Barn {we still use the quilt today for my little nephew O to lay on when we're downstairs}. Underneath my quilt I had a yellow and white checked duvet cover. I guess I've always leaned towards country-bumpkin with my interiors. 

If I had to do it all over again, here's what my dream dorm room would be like.
Bedding and Nightstand Set-up




No.1 PB Teen Cottage Stripe Duvet Cover and Pillowcases: I love the classic bold stripe of this bedding!
No.2 Anthropologie Paisley Shadow Sheet Set: I love the idea of the delicate scrolling pattern peeking out from the bold stripes.
No.3 DwellStudio Chevron Citrine Pillow: Loving the chevron, and that it's such a happy color.
No.4 Target Room Essentials Triangles Decorative Pillow: Again, I adore bold graphic prints; triangles add a great visual interest with the other patterns in the room
No.5 DwellStudio Zebra Citrine Pillow: Adore this pillow! Y'all know I gotta get some animals in this room!
No.6 Anthropologie Fleece Flounce Pillow: This fuzzy little pillow reminds me of a baby chick. I love the texture it adds.
No.7 Target Room Essentials Pom Pom Decorative Pillow: How happy are these pom poms?! 
No.8 ZGallerie Ludlow Throw: You know a love a fuzzy, cozy throw at the end of a bed!



No.1 DwellStudio Zig Zag Citrine Rug: Loving the chevron stripes on this rug. It's a nice way to jazz up the boring dorm room carpet.
No.2 Anthropologie Desert Rose Frame: The gorgeous colors add to the yellow/black/white/gray basics. I'd use the frame to house a beloved photo.
No.3 CB2 Visor Table Lamp: I'm drawn to the modern, sleek feel of this lamp.
No.4 West Elma Gemma Orkin Vases: This little birdie makes me smile. How refreshing would it be to keep a few fresh blooms on your bedside?! Dorms can feel so stale; fresh blooms will help ease some of that.
No.5 Kate Spade New York 'Harrison-Stripe' iPad Sleeve: Such a fun way to house your iPad. I just might have to get this little guy.
No.6 Knock Knock 'Humble Opinion' Mini Journal: A journal is essential for a college bound gal to write down and record all of those new experiences!




No.1 Knock Knock 'To Do' Note Pad: To keep track of everything on your now overcrowded schedule
No.2 Land of Nod 'Capture the Flag' Garland: So fun to hang over your workspace; it would definitely make me happy every time I looked at it!
No.3 Container Store Cascading Letter File Tote: Great to put to the side of the desk, utilizing some wallspace to store important files and assignments
No.4 Ben's Garden 'Be Who You Are' Notepads: I love the Dr. Seuss quote that is featured on these notepads.
No.5 Ben's Garden 'Classy and Fabulous' Paperweight: Great reminder from the beloved Coco
No.6 Kate Spade New York 'Becca' Pencil Case: I have this pencil case and it makes me so happy to use those pencils every time. I know it's not necessary, and that's what makes it so fun!
No.7 Synchronicity Stockholm Paper Drawers: Cute storage for printer paper, etc
No.8 Baroque Letter-Size Interior File Folders: Would work great with the Cascading Letter File {No.3 above}



No.1 Target Floral 3 Piece Towel Set: Cute towels that coordinate well with everything are a must!
No.2 Anthropologie Chaffinch Shower Curtain: LOVE this shower curtain! It's graphic and feminine.
No.3 York Overdoor Rack: To keep those towels hanging fresh
No.4 Target Home Floral Towel: I think this hand towel is super fun
No.5 Target Home Floral Bath Rug: I love how well this rug coordinates with the shower curtain.


No.1 Umbra Grassy Toothbrush Organizer: I love this toothbrush organizer; it's a more interesting way to store your toothbrush and toothpaste.
No.2 Acrylic Cotton & Swab Holders: These pieces will never go out of style; they're lifelong keepers.
No.3 Acrylic Tote: To carry shower essentials back and forth




No.1 ClosetMaid Cubeicals Fabric Cube: These would work great on the shelves in the closet.
No.2 Land of Nod Buffalo Check Cube Bin: Cute pattern that coordinates well for happy storage needs!
No.3 Container Store Sweater Boxes: Great for storing clothing and shoes under the bed; this is how I stored all my extras that couldn't be contained in my closet.
No.4 Container Store 2-Tier Stacking Shoe Rack: For the closet or under the bed; they're adjustable in height and they house lots of pairs.

How would you restyle your dorm room?


6 comments:

Dietingfashions at: July 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM said...

I nominated your blog (all 3 writers) for the Liebster Blog Award. Please check my blog for more details.

If I could have painted my dorm room, it would be mediterranean green. The puke beige color with exposed brick on the dorm walls were not to my liking. That's the first thing I would have changed.

Helen
dietingfashions.com

McKae @ Kaes Corner Design at: July 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM said...

Cute! I've been eying that yellow towel from target for a while now. An I'd love the zebra pillow!

Eva at: July 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM said...

AH this is so cool!! Such a great post! Love your blog, I'm following!
xx Eva
stylewandering.blogspot.com

katattack2000 at: July 20, 2012 at 7:29 AM said...

I love the view you have from your dorm!

I have nominated you for a liebster blog award. Check out my blog for details:)

katattack2000.wordpress.com

Maigen at: July 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM said...

K-- I love you color combo, as always! You are so talented! This room is good enough for a grown-up, not just a college dorm! {AKA, I'll take it!!}

Kerry at: July 21, 2012 at 7:19 AM said...

Thanks so much, everyone!! : )

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...