Saturday Matinee!



0 comments
This weekend, I have watched three films.  One was okay, and the other two were down right excellent.

The first two, I have had DVRed for a long time, and finally got around to watching {while packing}.  

"Midnight in Paris," starring Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, and Marion Cotillard.  The cast was good.  The images of Paris made me both nostalgic & melancholy.  I miss Paris and would move there tomorrow, if I had tons of money lying around.

pics from IMDb
I liked the premise of the movie, the cast, and the revival of some of my favorite writers and artists {and the actors they chose to play them were spot-on}. 

I wish I loved it more, though.  It just came across as a little shallow, and just skimming the surface of a really cool concept.  I would recommend it, though.  If for no other reason than to see some great shots of the city of light.

The next DVR special was "It's Kind of a Funny Story."  It's about a depressed teenage boy who commits himself to a mental health facility so that he won't commit suicide.  It's a pretty heavy topic, but the movie isn't too heavy. 

pics from Magic of Ice Cream

It has funny moments, tender moments, and dramatic moments.  I definitely recommend it.  The end {the part with the music} might make you cry {in a good, happy way}.  It's also probably the only film in which I've really liked Zach Galifianakis.  Usually, he just grosses me out.  But in this one, he's a really likable and sympathetic character.  He made me sad.

Finally, I saw a matinee today with my mom when I desperately needed to get out of the house and away from packing for a couple of hours. 
pic from The Bar None
We saw "Moonrise Kingdom," and we both loved it!  {PS, click the <--link, the website is super cool!}  We laughed out loud several times.  I love Wes Anderson, in general.  The cast was, of course, awesome. 
pic from EW
pic from Cathleen Falsani
I had heard it was good from co-workers, friends, even my grandparents.  So, clearly a widely diverse crowd pleaser.  You should see it, for sure.  I want to see it again.  It was too funny.
pic from Collider
Anyway.  I love movies.  And, I picked a few really good ones this weekend. 

What great films have you seen lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...