Stiles Session: Savannah



4 comments
My cute {now former} coworker Savannah approached me about helping her with her personal style a year ago, but busy schedules got in the way and we never made it happen. She literally looked like this the day she reminded me of her cry for help in the clothing department. How could I say no?
I couldn't resist using this picture in which Savannah purposely tries her best to look pathetic. The intentional, horrible lighting really punches up the effect, don't you think?!

Savannah is an art teacher, and an amazing one at that; the kids seriously adore her! Working with a variety of potentially messy mediums and elementary-aged students means that her work wardrobe suffers in the name of comfort and not wanting to fret about destroying favorite clothing items. She's actually being a sweetheart of a teacher in the above outfit by wearing a t-shirt that was purchased for her by a student.

I agree that being comfortable while teaching is beyond important; shoot, it's imperative {I spent 7 years instructing K-3 students}. But I don't think you have to trade comfort for style, especially when that trickles into your wardrobe's life outside of work/the classroom. My first piece of advice for Savannah is to separate her art teacher wardrobe from her regular wardrobe and place it in a designated area in her closet. That way she won't feel discouraged about having nothing to wear when she keeps stumbling over work wardrobe pieces when searching for a weekend outfit.

She shared with me that her daily summer wardrobe consists of a white v-neck and athletic shorts. This is a totally acceptable outfit to wear when bumming around the house, but we both agree that she needs to step it up for when she goes somewhere. Savannah definitely felt uninspired by her closet; but have no fear! I'm here to help.

When I arrived at her adorable home a week ago, we immediately got to work looking through her closet. I instantly noticed a theme: TONS of clothing in black, gray, brown, and navy.
Evidence is seen above. Granted, there are pops of jade and brighter blue clothing here and there {admittedly those are the only colors Savannah is really comfortable wearing}, but the majority of her clothing is in these neutral shades. Even her shoes echo this sentiment.

Savannah's TOMS in four shades of gray are seen above. I love TOMS and their charitable one-for-one premise {plus they're super comfy for a job like teaching art when you're on your feet all day}, but I don't think anyone should have 4 pairs in the same color. They have so many cute patterns and colors to choose from, so the next pair Savannah purchases needs to be in a color other than gray. 

She owns 5 pairs of UGGS, which I can't help her justify since we live in Texas. Sorry, girl. Now I know UGG boots are a super controversial shoe; I own a pair and I'm not ashamed. But I wear mine in very cold weather conditions in which warmth and comfort are the only option {i.e., when D and I were in DisneyWorld for Christmas two years ago and it was unseasonably beyond freezing and we were walking around all day long; this is an acceptable time to wear UGGS}.

There is actually a lot of potential in Savannah's closet. My goal was to help Savannah get the most out of her closet by focusing on several pieces that she has the most difficult time styling. She choose three items that hardly get any wear and I built outfits with them. So without further adieu, here are 6+ outfits that utilize what Savannah already owns.
Savannah had a really difficult time wearing this cute F21 dress. The bust area tends to bunch and gather and not have enough structure when worn with a strapless bra. By adding a tank underneath, she was able to wear a regular bra to provide the support both she and the dress need. We paired this first look with a skinny brown belt, cute t-strap sandals from Target, and Savannah's cute fedora from South Africa {her homeland}.

When it gets cooler out, Savannah can add some leggings and change out her belt and shoes. Her cute sandals are Mossimo Poeske Flat Sandals from Target.

Savannah recently purchased these cute flowy shorts from Nordstrom. Her first instinct was to wear them with her beloved white v-neck t-shirts, but I helped her find some tops that were a little more interesting. This cute top is from Old Navy. We literally dusted off these cute Target sandals from the back of Savannah's closet. Her beaded pink necklace gives this outfit a pop of color.

Savannah has never worn this F21 top, but I know she will now that we found some great pairings for it. This would be a cute date night outfit. We both agree that she'd be better off with some wedges, but she didn't own any that were just right. My suggestions for some black wedges {a wardrobe staple in my opinion} will be seen below. She's wearing those cute Target sandals again.

Savannah looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested she wear this lovely mint F21 ruffled tank with her floral Mossimo Challis skirt from Target {Maigen recently purchased this skirt, too, but in different prints}. Since the skirt doesn't contain any mint in the print's color scheme, she thought it wouldn't look good. Thankfully she loved the two together once she tried them on. This tank has gone unworn for many years because Savannah couldn't find something to wear it with, but now it will go unworn no longer. The outfit is completed with her black skinny belt and her black sandals from Target or her TOMS wedges.

She also doubted my suggestion to pair the stripes and print and adding in a brown belt, but she loved it when it was on. Her striped top is from Old Navy. I even let her wear her favorite TOMS wedges again. You're welcome, Savannah! 

Thankfully this outfit is versatile enough to wear into the fall and winter here in good old Texas. I really love these boots that Savannah hardly wears; I think they're BP by Nordstrom. When it gets cooler, she can wear her boots with bare legs or tights.

Savannah's favorite variation of this ensemble is seen above. You can tell by her radiant smile and sassy posture that she looks and feels great in this outfit! {Her boots are Steve Madden.} I can't wait for cooler temps so I can see Savannah rocking this look; again, with or without tights! Seriously, how adorable is she?!


Part Two of this process is my favorite part: SHOPPING! Savannah has awesome basics in her closet {remember all of those neutrals?}, but she needs to punch up her wardrobe with some COLOR! Here are several suggestions for some colorful additives to her wardrobe, all from her favorite, most-shopped stores.
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6


1 / 2 / 3
*No. 2 as previously seen on the gorgeous Isabel {here and here}.



Savannah would benefit from a leopard belt, which is a great neutral with interesting appeal. She's also in need of a new wide brown belt, as she doesn't like the fit of her current one. My suggestions for belting it are below.

1 / 2 / 3a&b


As mentioned above, Savannah is in need of some black wedge sandals. I found a few that I think she'll like.
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 
Are you ready to do a little shopping, Savannah?


So what did we learn, y'all? When you're getting tired of your clothing and feel like you're in a rut, have a friend take a gander for a fresh perspective; they can breathe new life into your wardrobe. And hopefully they can also assist you in spicing up your wardrobe with a few affordable pieces. If not, feel free to request our help! We work for free! Email us at: laconceptiondesfemmes{at}gmail{dot}com












*PS: I didn't misspell "Stiles" in "Stiles Session" - it's my surname. So convenient, right?! : )

4 comments:

Maigen at: July 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM said...

Oh, so many cute outfits!! She looks so fabulous! I especially love the striped top/floral skirt combo and its many renditions! Also, rad fedora! :) oh, and the dressy grey top and black shorts!

KLee at: July 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM said...

I want a striped/floral combo outfit! The before pic makes me giggle :)

Amy Shaughnessy at: July 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM said...

Such a great post! The outfits turned out great!

Amy


Fashion and Beauty Finds

eliz at: July 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM said...

Loving all the stripes! haahhaa That green shirt on the first pictures should only be worn as pajamas!

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...