Summer Savories // Avocado Sandwich



3 comments
Gabrielle Hamilton, House Beautiful's chef columnist, created this amazing, mouth watering sandwich that I just had to try!  Kerry and Maigen came over yesterday for a fun Fresh Takes session (yippee!) and we noshed on this munchkin for a quick and easy dinner!  This is an extremely easy meal to modify to your liking (we assembled our own) and surprisingly pretty filling!
 

I forgot to put this out last night, but I thought some sun-dried tomatoes would've made this sandwich even more of an "explosion in the mouth" (a term my brother coined when I took him around Austin a few weeks ago.  He LOVED all the flavor bombs!  We pretty much ate the entire time...)

 Start with some good ole crusty bread.  I found some smelltastic Olive bread (yes, with olives, and yes, it was salty and good!) and some Pugliese hearth bread at Kroger.  Knowing we were going to eat these right away, I managed to grab some at a discount since today was their last sell date.  Does that gross anybody out?   Sorry, if it does, but artisan bread for less than $2?  I'd grab them quick and freeze those delicious carbs!  But knowing me, bread doesn't last long in this house.

(It just occurred to me, that I could've sliced them lengthwise for some wider slices - duh!  I will have to try that next time!  I'm always disappointed by tiny slices and was just thinking, "How do people get them so long?")

 Lemon makes the dish, peoples! Do Not Forget!



Avocado Sandwich
from House Beautiful :: July/August 2012
Serves 4

1 pound (scant 2 cups) fresh ricotta (we used feta and bleu cheese instead)
zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pinches coarse kosher salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
4 long, even slices of very good bread (well - that's descriptive!)
2 large, perfectly ripe avocados at room temp
1 pint mixed-color grape tomatoes, cut in half horizontally (you won't use the whole pint)
8 red pearl onions equaling 2-3 ounces, thinly sliced into rounds
4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (forget to put these out - sorry girls!)
skin of 1 preserved lemon flesh removed, finely diced (skipped that since I have no idea how to preserve lemon skin)
1/2 teaspoon toasted poppy seeds

1.  mix the ricotta with the lemon zest, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper and set aside
2.  arrange slices of bread on a cutting board and divide the ricotta mixture evenly among the four slices.  Spread into a generous even layer
3.  split the avocados, remove the pits, and slice each half into even slices without cutting all the way through the leathery skin.  Then, with a soup spoon or a flexible rubber spatula, release the flesh and arrange the slices neatly and evenly among the bread slices.
4.  artfully and attractively arrange the tomatoes by nesting them into the soft avocado.  Then arrange the red onion slices over the tomatoes.
5.  garnish each sandwich with the sesame seeds, the preserved lemon skin, and finally, the poppy seeds.  Transfer to plates and drizzle with olive oil.
R. chose to sandwich his and add some chicken.  He is the king of sandwiches and I love watching him get all messy as he creates.  I drool when he announces he's making a toasted sandwich.  
I love a good, hearty, raw concoction on bread.  Soooo satisfying!  What have you made lately?



3 comments:

Maigen at: July 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM said...

Oh, my gosh!! Sooooo yummy! My mouth is watering just thinking about this sandwich!
PS: I was telling my sis all about it last night and trying to find the recipe for her, but couldn't, so thanks for posting! She will be excited! :)

Kerry at: July 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM said...

I crave this all of the time ever since eating it! It was soooo good! YUM!

And your photographs - AMAZING!!!! You're the best.

Kerry at: July 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM said...

Oh! And I agree about the long bread; never thought to cut it that way before. And lemon does make this dish, people. Don't neglect it. : )

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...