Count Your Blessings :)



2 comments
This post is a little different for me, and LCDF in general, but I just wanted to share about an epiphany I had tonight that was literally a life-changing event.

I was driving home from West Elm and saw a billboard with a picture of an adorable little boy {like 3-years-old}, wearing a Goofy hat from Disney World with the biggest, cutest smile ever.  It was a billboard for the "Make-a-Wish Foundation."  And I just started crying.  And I cried all the way home.

I realized that I have been throwing myself a major pity-party for the past two years.  I have been totally selfish and ungrateful. 

For a tiny child with some sort of terrible {and I hate to believe, possibly terminal} disease to be so very happy to be at Disney World, and for me to be so miserable and just feel like I have a pass for feeling sorry for myself because of something that happened to me that was, granted, awful, but nothing like this little boy is going through, just makes me sick to my stomach. 

Anyway, this is it.  The end of the pity party.  I have been given so many blessings that I don't even know what to do with.  The terrible thing that happened to me, I've always known deep down, was a blessing in disguise.  But, instead of being grateful for it, or for anything, I have just been a brat, thinking life may as well be over and all kinds of silly, stupid things.  I need to stop being a baby and learn a lesson from a sweet 3-year-old about happiness.   

So, get ready.  I'm ready.  "I'm back, baby!" {Channeling Frank Costanza there.} 



2 comments:

Mere at: September 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM said...

I think that we can both agree that, as your sister, I know you pretty well. "Ungrateful" is probably the last word that I'd use to describe you, though I really enjoyed your post. I think that we have all been guilty of taking our many blessings for granted. That is one thing that I have also been thinking about a lot lately. I have recently been talking with several people, including a mother of adopted children, and reading a bit about orphans. I must say that it has made me realize that I have so much to be grateful for. When I look at my baby and think about how much she needs me, not just for the obvious needs in life, but for love and just time spent being held in my arms, I realize how many children in the world don't have that. There are so many infants that don't get that time that is needed just being held (and loved) by someone. I'm not sure what I am going to do about this problem, but I've been researching the possibilities. Some people volunteer in hospitals to hold the premature infants who have to stay in the NICU for extended periods of time. Maybe there should be a volunteer organization around the world that does offers the same thing for orphanages... If any readers out there know a little bit more about this subject please share! I've gone a little off topic, but what I am trying to say is that I appreciate your post. I think that I sometimes need daily reminders of how grateful I should be for all of my blessings in life, especially some of those as seemingly simple as having parents who love me.

Kerry at: September 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM said...

Love this! You have never once seemed ungrateful to me! Welcome "back"! xoxo

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...