The Hunt for Red October



9 comments
Dalles and I were on the hunt for some supplemental summer clothing for a trip that we're about to embark on very soon. {I know, I know. There's nothing more annoying than having to shop for warm-weather clothing on the brink of fall, when all of the stores are stocked full of gorgeous autumnal pretties, and there's nary a remnant of clothing left appropriate for hot and humid weather. Sigh.}

Amongst our many fruitless stops, we popped into H&M at Willow Bend. On our way out yet again empty-handed, we stumbled upon some blazers. Dalles encouraged me to try one on, so I picked out the red one because it was this gorgeous tomato-y red color with orangey undertones. I tried it on and noticed that it fit really nicely. Dalles made an approving remark along with his smile, and then suggested that I walk over to the mirror and see for myself. Upon first glance, I felt as though a light was shining upon me in this blazer. {Cue glowy lighting, stagehands.} My lips looked rosier, my skin looked brighter; it was kismet, me and this blazer.

Knowing I was on the hunt for warm-weather-friendly clothing, I was determined to not budge and buy something that I couldn't use on our trip. I didn't want to be taken by this blazer. So exercising my growing willpower, I hung it back up on the rack and proclaimed, "Well, take one last look. This'll be the last time we see it." Dalles asked why I said that, wondering if I didn't like it. I responded that I did really like it, but it was the only one in my size and it would probably be gone before I came back for it.

Little did I know that would be 10 minutes later after unsuccessfully browsing non-existant warm-weather duds at J.Crew.... And my prophecy was correct: It was g-o-n-e.

I rummaged through the rack several times, thinking I had overlooked it amongst the 8-10 red blazers that still hung there, waiting to make other ladies look rosy and gorgeous. I finally conceded and asked the sales clerk to check the back, but he returned empty-handed. He told me they would be getting in another shipment on Sunday and again on Tuesday, and to check then.

But that wasn't good enough for me. No, no. I had it in my head that the blazer was somewhere in the store, so I started wandering around, eyes peeled for a petite-framed girl with my blazer in her hands. {Yep, it had now turned into my blazer.}

After a minute of wandering, BOOM. I saw it. I saw her. My blazer was in another girl's hands. I knew it was mine because this girl was basically my body-double. I could tell she was debating the purchase of this blazer, and this was confirmed when I watched her stop and hold it up to herself in a mirror. Since we were nearby, Dalles tried to loudly proclaim that orangey-reds were out this season and that no one looked good in them. She didn't hear us, or she wasn't swayed by his attempted-persuasive remarks. Either way, that blazer stayed firmly in her grasp. #$%&*@!

I then proceeded to stalk follow her around the store, at a safe distance, with my heart racing, hoping and even praying that she'd decide to not buy my blazer. I kept visualizing her placing it back on the rack. This lasted for a good 10 minutes, and then finally, with much dread in my heart, I watched her walk to the checkout line.

I sighed a deep sigh.

I was defeated. My perfect blazer with glowing-complexion inducing capabilities was gone. Right before my eyes. Gone.

I walked out of the store and told Dalles that my whole day was ruined.

Over a blazer.

Yes No, I'm not dramatic.

Once we got in the car, I told him that if I were by myself I would be heading to North Park to their H&M to try to find it. Being the problem-solving husband that he is, he turned to me and said, "We have nothing better to do. Let's go!" and gave me a fist bump. {I may be utilizing hyperbole with that exclamation mark and fist bump business.}

Nevertheless, I love that guy for going on The Hunt for Red October Blazer with me.

We drove to North Park and walked straight to H&M, found the blazers, and much to my obsessed delight, they had it in my size. Not once. Not twice. But three times. Which was a godsend, because there were minor flaws in once and twice. Thankfully three was perfect. And mine.

Meet my blazer...



BLAZER h&m // SHIRT J.Crew {no longer available; similar style + 30% off with code LOVEIT} // DENIM 7 For All Mankind {old} // EARRINGS Kate Spade // NECKLACE J.Crew Factory {old; previously seen here}

Have you ever shamelessly hunted down an item? Do share!


9 comments:

lizette vigo at: September 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM said...

love the color of your blazer <3

www.thebluecurtain.blogspot.com

Lilly at: September 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM said...

I love this on you! I too am in the summer clothing for a beach trip during fall game, and I'm not winning! Finding some items on clearance online but almost nothing in stores. One time Markus drove me to three Ultas so I could buy *just the right* hot rollers that I read gave you Kate Middleton hair. They love us to feel our best and we love them for it, right?

Lilly

Amy Shaughnessy at: September 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM said...

Ha ha! You are so funny. I had a similar experience a few years ago over a black blazer. The girl was holding the blazer and I just straight up asked her if I could have it because I had been searching everywhere for one. She gave it to me!

Amy


Fashion and Beauty Finds

Maigen at: September 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM said...

Super cute! Love it! I'm on a blazer search myself :)
Loved the story too, so funny!!

*M

Maigen at: September 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM said...

Super cute! Love it! I'm on a blazer search myself :)
Loved the story too, so funny!!

*M

Maigen at: September 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM said...

Super cute! Love it! I'm on a blazer search myself :)
Loved the story too, so funny!!

*M

SewPetiteGal at: September 23, 2012 at 7:09 AM said...

I loved how you told your story - I felt like I was right there with you! LOL on looking for and following a petite gal around for the blazer. I'm glad you were able to find it - it looks perfect on you!

eliz at: September 23, 2012 at 9:25 PM said...

I saw this blazer at h&m...was thisclose to picking it up...I am now regretting I didn't!

Kerry at: September 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM said...

Thank you, Lizette, Maigen, & SPG!

Glad you feel my summer-clothing search in the midst of fall arrivals pain, Lilly! Do share on those Kate Middleton hot rollers!

Amy, I totally thought about going up to her and asking for it, but she seemed unapproachable to me. I admire your courage in doing that! It obviously paid off!

Liz, go get one! It'll look great on you! : )

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...