Bathroom Makeover in Progress! {Kerry's Monthly DIY Challenge}



6 comments
Dalles' family is coming to visit this December for his MBA graduation {hallelujah!} and an early Christmas celebration! I'm so excited, because it's rare that we get to host his whole family in our home; rare as in we-haven't-ever-done-it-before. Which is one of the multitude of reasons why our home has been sadly incomplete and often-times pathetic, even though we have lived here for over 3 years. Plus, I'm incessantly indecisive. Needless to say, we have lots of exciting changes happening over the next few months in preparation for their arrival, which has obviously been the perfect excuse to kick my hiney into gear, let my interior design thoughts run wild, and get things done 'round here!

First up on this long list of to-dos is our downstairs half-bathroom. Starting small felt much less intimidating. {Sorry for the bad lighting in all of my pictures.}

Yep, not a sight for sore eyes is right! It feels awfully theme-y in there, like a trip to the Greek isles... which isn't awful, but it's not good either. It is definitely due for a modern update, more reflective and in tune of the rest of our home.

I'm not sure why I never realized* until about a month ago that it must be super awkward for boys to urinate in our bathroom. I mean, really... they have to stare at our just-wedded faces gawking cheesily at them. Needless to say, that framed photo collection is in need of a new residence.
{*To point out the obvious, I didn't realize this because I obviously never face that direction.}


Then there's this art picture that Dalles purchased from IKEA back in his single days. I'm not sure why I've kept it as long as I have, but it's going to our local thrift store to wait patiently for a new home.

Unfortunately the progress that I've made on the makeover isn't much because September was pretty much cray-cray-crazy {crazy good: going to Disney World with Dalles' family which was so.much.fun, I can't even contain myself just thinking about it; and crazy bad: having my dad and step-dad in the hospital at the same time and on the same floor (at least that same floor business made it a little bit easier!)}.

Dalles and I took advantage of the rainy weather on Saturday and painted our half-bath Behr's Tibetan Orange. I definitely had some major hesitance and going back-and-forth-ness before just biting that dad-gum bullet and doing it. We're both really pleased with the color, which is much more realistic in my photographs than it is in the moodboards below, though it does photograph much more like a true orange than it is in real life. It's definitely bold, but we love how crisp white looks against it and what a great compliment it is to our wood floors.

This photo is probably the most realistic shot of the actual color, but it's still reading pretty bright...



And can I give an enormous "you're freaking amazing"shout-out to Frog Tape?! Y'all, this stuff is where it's at! Just look at that perfect line below, which is not at all due to user skill. The tape is just that good. As blog-readers as my witness, I'll never use regular old painter's tape ever again.


And in case you're wondering, Dalles and I are crazypants messy when we paint. Evidence below.



Now back to my potential plan! Remember that whole "I'm indecisive" comment that I made at the beginning of this post? Well, it's a billion percent true, so I am still struggling to know exactly what direction to go in for this little makeover. This is what I think I want to do, but I'm sure it'll change a bit as the decorating process unfolds.


And now it's time for the breakdown... {anyone else singing En Vogue with me right now? "Never gonna get it, never gonna get it..."}

PAINT // Behr Tibetan Orange, which is much more vibrant, orangey, and rich than the online depiction shows, was my paint color of choice. I was hesitant about it making the windowless bathroom too dark, but instead it just feels more warm, cozy, and refreshed in there.

DEER // Once in a little nook in my foyer, my ZGallerie Deer will now reside in the bathroom. It's much more masculine for the men to look at than our newly-wedded-bliss faces, don'tcha think?!

DIY ART // I've loved this art ever since I saw the original pin by Maigen {she also featured it here}. I think it would be a very easy piece to DIY. I'd place it in this frame in walnut.

TRAY // I plan to use this West Elm cutie to house the decorative objects {and extra toilet paper} on the back of the toilet.

HAND TOWEL // Bringing in some gorgeous color and pattern with this towel from Anthropologie that is very similar to the one I already have in there.

DECORATIVE OBJECTS // This Anthropologie VASE adds a nice feminine touch; this TROPHY from Target is one that I've loved ever since I saw Maigen feature it {and I've always wanted to collect vintage trophies, but those things are expensive, so this is as good as it's gonna get for now}; WISHBONES are pretty special to me because of my Thanksgiving tradition with my niece. I always like to include an accessory or two that holds some sentimental symbolism.

RUG // Finding a rug will be tricky, because the space in front of my pedestal sink is small and limits me from using most standard-sized bathroom rugs. I'm not totally sure I'm loving this big flower, but the color and size are just right, so I hope to find something along these lines.

SOAP DISPENSER // I like the idea of bringing in some more texture {that coordinates nicely with the tray} with this fun soap dispenser.

MIRROR // Still not sold on this little guy from IKEA featured in the first moodboard, but it's as close as I could find for what I'm thinking of right now.

My plan is to whip out that DIY art sometime this week! I'll be sure to update once the bathroom is in its complete and final glory!

Have you painted any rooms in your home a bold color?



6 comments:

working-mom at: October 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM said...

Great post!

Love your style and see you as such as good inspiration!!

I'm an instant follower of you now :)

Please feel free to check out my blog if you have the time

Love,

Olivia

http://mom-works.blogspot.nl/

McKae @ Kaes Corner Design at: October 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM said...

Ooh fun color and I love the accessories! I'm excited to see it!

Amy Shaughnessy at: October 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM said...

My bathroom is in serious need of a make-over. It is BUTT ugly. I can't stand the wall paper. But of course, I haven't done anything about it yet and we have lived here a year. I love the idea of the deer head in there. I think it's cool!

Amy


Fashion and Beauty Finds

Kerry at: October 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM said...

Thank you, Olivia & McKae!

Oh, Amy I don't blame you on not wanting to tackle removing your less-than-desireable wallpaper. Since we don't plan on living here for that much longer, I won't dare put wallpaper up for the sake of deterring potential future buyers who don't share my taste!

xoxo

Maigen at: October 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM said...

Cuuuuuute!! I love the orange! And orange and dark teal is one of my FAVES!! This is going to look amazing. I love the deer head move, what a rad idea!
The last time I was in Target, the trophies were on sale... It was about a week ago, but might be worth checking out! :) and yes, I agree, this is a cute one until you feel like dishing out some MAJOR cash! I remember them being crazy expensive when we were shopping in Mckinney!
I really can't wait to see this! :)
Let me know before you get that little tray... (I feel an early Christmas present coming on...) ;)
*M

Kerry at: October 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM said...

Thanks, Maigen!! : )

The trophies were still on sale! I went to Target to pick up some essentials yesterday and happened to make my way over to the decor aisles, and I picked up the medium trophy on sale! The large one I used in my post was just much too big in actuality. 1 piece down, more to go!

Oooh weeee about that tray! I'll let you know once I check out the exact size of it in person! You're too kind! xoxo

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...