Half-Bathroom Makeover Update {Kerry's Monthly DIY Challenge}



7 comments
Remember this? Well, I'm back to update you with the almost-finished result and a little easy-peasy DIY art project!

Here's what I've added to our half-bath thus far; and yes, there is definitely still some tweaking to be done. And I apologize in advance for my crummy photos.

My deer has found a new home in our half-bath. I really like him in there. I also added some DIY art {which I'll be sharing in more detail further along in this post}, and a tray with some accessories. I'm not so sure about that negative space between the deer and the tray accessories. I think I want to create some more DIY art, perhaps something like this? I'm pretty obsessed with Jen Ramos' paintings right now, but they're all sold out online so I might just have to give it a good old DIY try.



I'm not 100% sure I want to keep this towel from Anthropologie, so it's hanging there as a visual while I make my decision {remember that I'm super indecisive}, hence the price tag still being attached. I'm not sure if I want one with more color or not. Dalles thinks the creams are perfect since the walls bring all the color one could ever desire. What do you think? I found this cute soap pump at Target on sale a few weeks ago, and I love the shape and slightly-tinted glass. This rug was a steal of a deal: just $12 at World Market! Holla!
TOWEL // SOAP DISPENSER {Target; available in stores} //  RUG 


I found this tray at The Container Store after realizing that my initial tray intention was just way too big. I wanted to be sure it would be able to stay in its spot without sliding off {the toilet top surface is curved, so the tray doesn't exactly sit flat on it}, so I added some Command strips. They're the kind used for hanging posters on a wall, but they seem to be working well on the tray. Now this baby isn't going anywhere without a forceful pull. Thanks, Command!


Now the really fun part... accessories! I was able to score the trophy vase on sale at Target. I added a cute little succulent to it, selected by Dalles. I think that little guy looks pretty perfect in there. The Hot Buttered Rum candle smells so decadent and delicious; I seriously want to eat it. It came with those adorable owl matches, thanks to good old Anthro genius and whimsy. I decided to place it in a square glass vase that I already had on hand. I wanted to give the candle some additional height, so into the pantry my wandering eyes browsed. I decided that dry quinoa was a great filler and height-granter. I kind of love it. A lot.
TROPHY VASE {no longer available online, but on clearance in stores} // CANDLE



Now it's DIY art time! My original inspiration was this. I actually made one very similar to it using a cut-up potato as my paint tool {major preschool art-time moment at my house}, but I wasn't in love with it. So back to the drawing painting board I went. I started my creation on my own, totally winging it, and as I was stamping my dots I remembered this gorgeous {and rather pricey-yikes!} painting from Dwell Studio. I looked it up to have a visual, and it gave me some further guidance and inspiration.


Here are the supplies that I used...
BRUSHES {I bought a pack similar to this, but with all sponge brushes; I can't find the exact one online} // PAINT // and yes, I'm super cheap and created my art on regular old poster board. Classy.


And here's my finished product. I'm actually really happy with it, and also really bummed that I can't get a good enough angle on it due awkward lighting {since our half-bath is so small that I have to photograph it at weird angles to get all of it in one shot}. I love that the dots aren't perfectly round, and that they have a nice texture; not at all sponge looking due to loading up my round sponge brushes with excessive amounts of paint. I think this creation looks a lot classier and more expensive than it's cheapy-cheap origins of poster board, craft paint, and sponge brushes.

So that's the half of it for now! I'll be sure to update again once it's really, finally, 100% completed.











PS: Thoughts and prayers to those of you on the East Coast. Stay safe!

7 comments:

Lilly at: October 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM said...

So cute! We Are 1976 has good prints at the size you are looking to fill if you ever go down that way. I am weird and love room colors in threes, so there is a crazy color girl that knows you can go for one more if you want it!

McKae @ Kaes Corner Design at: October 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM said...

Love it! Im obsessed with the deer head and I might be stealing your DIY artwork idea for over my toilet. I have an empty frame hanging up right now because I haven't been able to find anything that works, but that would be perfect!

Maigen at: October 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM said...

Super cute!! I looooooove the DIY art! Looks fantastic! I can't wait to see it in person.
The deer head looks SO great on the orange wall!
I love the soap pump! I actually had that (2, actually). The first didn't pump so I returned it. I used the second one for months, and then it just stopped working. I was so bummed, I just tossed it and got something different, which stinks, because the one I got isn't NEARLY as cute :( I hope yours works better. Mine was my primary soap pump, though, so I bet yours will be okay since it's just in the guest bathroom. :)
This room looks fabulous already! Can't wait to see what else you do!
(For what it's worth, I'm TOTALLY digging that towel. I love a lot of color, but something about it there is really so classic.)
*M

Maigen at: October 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM said...

Super cute!! I looooooove the DIY art! Looks fantastic! I can't wait to see it in person.
The deer head looks SO great on the orange wall!
I love the soap pump! I actually had that (2, actually). The first didn't pump so I returned it. I used the second one for months, and then it just stopped working. I was so bummed, I just tossed it and got something different, which stinks, because the one I got isn't NEARLY as cute :( I hope yours works better. Mine was my primary soap pump, though, so I bet yours will be okay since it's just in the guest bathroom. :)
This room looks fabulous already! Can't wait to see what else you do!
(For what it's worth, I'm TOTALLY digging that towel. I love a lot of color, but something about it there is really so classic.)
*M

Kerry at: October 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM said...

Thanks, Lilly! I'm with you on loving lots of color in rooms. Now I just need to figure out which ones to incorporate. Thanks for suggesting We Are 1976; I checked them out online and am in love with their unique and quirky prints!

Thanks, McKae! I'm so happy that I provided you some inspiration! You should totally do it; it only took about 10 minutes, and was obviously super inexpensive. Can't wait to see your dotties!

Thanks, Maigen! I do adore my deer on the orange wall. That's a bummer about your soap pump. : / Mine has worked great so far, and you're right that it will get minimal pumping mileage so it should last for awhile. Thanks for your input on the towel. I'm glad you like it! I think it's starting to grow on me.

Brooke at: November 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM said...

I love that art!! Found you from your sis-in-law's blog and had to come check out your tutorial. It's great!!

Kerry at: November 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM said...

Thanks for your comment and for popping by Brooke! : )

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...