Hot 'n Fresh :: Homemade Detergent



6 comments
I have to admit something.  Back in the day, R. and I were "extreme" couponers.  We weren't as cray cray as the people on the TV show, but there was a good year and a half where we played with the system.  It bordered on post apocalyptic hoarding, but it sure gave us a thrill!  The "stockpiling" years (as I call those days) kept us maintained with toilet paper, feminine products and any kind of hygiene product for at least two - three years.  Visitors always walked away with a mini shopping bag from our "store".  

Then came the day we used up all our almost free laundry detergent.  I want to say that we went three years without paying full price for detergent.  We were down to the last watered down drop.  R. decided there was no way he was paying for new detergent so he set out to make his own.  He wanted cheap; I wanted earth friendly, natural and non-toxic to the environment.  While I haven't researched the affects this recipe has on the earth, may I present to you, an extremely inexpensive way to clean your clothes.  




 We were liquid detergent people, so we'll see how this powder thing goes.  I love that it smells great, has mostly natural ingredients, and it's PINK :)  So far, our clothes have smelled decently fresh (it's not as perfumed as commercial detergents, but still smells great) and without dryer sheets (we ran out) our clothes are static free and still feel soft.  Plus, I've always wanted to display my laundry products and this powder lets me do that!  Am I so cool or WHAT?!

And for anybody who cares, it cost us about $15 to make and will last close to 6 months.  I also need to add that this was R's DIY project, so he takes all the credit!  I just took pictures and blogged about it :)

How far would you go to DIY something like this?  Are there some things on your mental list that you know for sure you wouldn't ever try to DIY?




6 comments:

Amy Shaughnessy at: January 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM said...

I have a friend who has made her own detergent before. She swears that it is the way to go. Does it work for high efficiency washers?

Amy
Fashion and Beauty Finds

Mere at: January 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM said...

I have made my own detergent for years! There are ways to make a liquid/gel detergent, but I have recently switched to powder. Sometimes I add a drop of a great-smelling essential oil to the load, and my clothes smell fantastic. Oh, and many homemade detergents will work with HE washers. There are tons of recipes online, so give one a try!

Kerry at: February 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM said...

Way to go, R!

I've been wanting to make my own detergent (and store it prettily, of course!), so thanks for the inspiration! Loving your images and fonts, too!

xoxo

Faux ionista at: February 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM said...

Wow, I've seen plenty of DIYs but never crossed my mind to make detergent! Thanks for posting this, Isabel! Quite the inspiration!

Maigen at: February 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM said...

Cool, I'm impressed! :) Your photos are awesome!!

*M

Isabel at: February 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM said...

Amy - most homemade detergents work well with HE washers, probably because of the natural ingredients? Give it a try!

Mere - I was thinking of adding essential oil too! You just sold me on it :)

Thx Fauxionista, K, and M!

Post a Comment

Comments make us smile! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

newer post older post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...